Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Thyroid Information

This is not food related but I thought had relevance since I see many clients who are dealing with thyroid cancer or thyroid disruptions. I hope this may be helpful to you and those you love.


Dr. Oz:
Precautions re Mammograms and Dental XRays/ A Useful
On Wednesday, Dr. Oz had a show on the fastest growing
cancer in women, thyroid cancer. It was a very interesting program
and he mentioned that the increase could possibly be related to the
use of dental x-rays and mammograms. He demonstrated that on the
apron the dentist puts on you for your dental x-rays there is a little
flap that can be lifted up and wrapped around your neck. Many
dentists don't bother to use it. Also, there is something called a "thyroid guard" for use during
mammograms. By coincidence, I had my yearly mammogram yesterday. I
felt a little silly, but I asked about the guard and sure enough, the
technician had one in a drawer. I asked why it wasn't routinely used.
Answer: "I don't know. You have to ask for it." Well, if I hadn't
seen the show, how would I have known to ask?

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU for this. I always use the flap, as my aunt and grandfather had thyroid cancer and I try to avoid exposure to things like this. It's so important!

    ReplyDelete