Monday, December 27, 2010

Winter Salad


As I type this, the snow is blowing and we are in the middle of a winter storm.
I can't believe I am saying this, however, I personally enjoy these days. My blood has thickened since my move back East from San Diego and I find that being stuck inside gives me an opportunity to go through my cookbooks and spend time in the kitchen cooking.

Even though winter is among us, I am not ready to give up salads. They are the perfect companion to a delicious, warming soup. It is hard this time of year to find fresh, local veggies so this is my all time favorite salad to make in the winter. I hope you enjoy it!

Grapefruit, Avocado & Crab Salad
Serves 6
This salad makes a delicious lunch or light dinner served with a freshly baked baguette and extra olive oil for dipping or if you prefer, you can omit the crab and you'll have a beautiful salad that pairs perfectly with a spicy chili!

2 pink grapefruits, segmented, and juice reserved
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
1 tbsp. minced shallot
2 tbsp. minced fresh chives
salt and pepper
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 head butter (Boston) lettuce, leaves separated and torn into small pieces
(or you can use Arugula)
2 firm, but ripe avocados, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 lb. fresh lump crabmeat

In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tsp. of the grapefruit juice with the vinegar, shallot, chives, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, slowly add the oil until well combined to make the vinaigrette.

In a bowl, toss the lettuce with 1 tbsp. of the vinaigrette. Divide the lettuce leaves among 6 salad plates. Gently toss the avocado slices in 1 tbsp. f the vinaigrette and place a few slices on each plate. Place the grapefruit slices, lettuce, avocado, and crabmeat on a platter or in a serving bowl. Drizzle some of the vinaigrette over the top and toss until lightly coated. Season with salt and pepper and serve right away.


No comments:

Post a Comment