Friday, February 4, 2011

Seven Layer Super Bowl Dip

I will be celebrating and entertaining this Sunday.
Only my reason for celebrating may be different than those of all you football fans.
You see, I celebrate on Sunday because it marks the end of football season which also means the return of my husband. I honestly have never really understood watching (and screaming) at the TV for four hours or wearing team colors for good luck.
Two years ago, I became even more aware of my dislike for football when I had to cut down four trees, that's right, four trees in my backyard so that our satellite reception was acceptable for the NFL package.

I do, however, always appreciate a reason to entertain, so I look forward to Sunday.
And I will be secretly toasting to the end of the season at half-time...

Seven Layer Bean Dip

1 (15-ounce) can refried beans

2 tablespoons hot sauce

Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling

4 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces

1 (16 to 18 ounce) jar green chili or tomatillo salsa

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, a palm full, chopped

1 (15-ounce) can black beans

2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2/3 palm full

1 (16 to 18 ounce) jar chipotle salsa

2 cups sour cream

1 lime, zested and juiced

2 ripe avocados

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 lemon, juiced

1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped

Salt

2 plum tomatoes, diced

Pimiento stuffed jumbo Spanish olives, chopped

Tortilla chips, buy 2 sacks in 2 different colors/varieties


Heat refried beans in small nonstick pan over medium heat and season with hot sauce. Transfer the beans to a small, deep casserole dish. Scrape pan clean with rubber spatula and return to heat.


Add a little extra-virgin olive oil to the pan and raise heat to high. When the oil smokes, add the scallions and sear them, 2 to 3 minutes. Add green salsa to scallions and heat through. Add cilantro, remove salsa from heat, and layer on top of the beans.

recipe courtesy of Rachel Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment