Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pasta Perfection!


I'll admit it- I have never been a big fan of pasta. I know there are some people who simply cannot get enough of it. That has just never been the case with me. I would prefer grains and freshly baked breads over pasta. This recipe however, may have me singing a new tune. The green sauce is delicious and I imagine would be great served on grains as well. You could use rice pasta, spelt pasta or my favorite, Ezekial pasta. Try this one on the kids. I bet they won't even know they are eating kale!
Winter Pasta
serves 6
4 cloves garlic, peeled
4 small shallots, peeled
1 small bunch kale, stemmed and washed
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup plus 2 oz. goat cheese
2 tbsp. hot pasta water
salt and pepper
fresh lemon juice
12 oz. dried penne pasta
fresh thyme
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the garlic and shallots. Boil for 2-3 minutes and then stir in the kale for 10-15 seconds. Do not overcook the kale! With a slotted spoon or a strainer, remove the greens, garlic and shallots. Use a food processor to puree the greens, garlic, shallots, olive oil and goat cheese. Add a couple tbsp. of the hot pasta water if need be to thin the sauce out. Season with salt and pepper and lemon juice until you are happy with your sauce. Set aside.
Cook pasta according to the directions and drain. Toss with green sauce immediately. Serve topped with fresh thyme and the crumbled remaining goat cheese. Enjoy!
*You could add rotisserie chicken and black olives for a easy dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment