Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Eat Your Greens... (and like them!)



I'll admit it- I love kale. I am always looking for new ways to serve it to my children (and husband) so that they will learn to love this super food as well. Many times, I fail. This recipe however, has been accepted by the whole family, and is a delightful replacement for a side salad, a delightful side dish with salmon or can hold its own as a light lunch. I hope that this changes your mind if you are on the fence with greens....


Lemon Kale Salad


4 cups kale, rinsed, drained with ribs removed

1/3 cup- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or Pecorino cheese

(I like Whole Foods raw grated parmesan)

Red pepper flakes to taste


Dressing

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/3 cup lemon juice

2 cloves of garlic

pinch of salt/ ground pepper to taste


Slice kale into 1/4 inch ribbons. For the dressing combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic cloves and a pinch of salt, pepper and red pepper in a blender/food processor to combine. Taste for spice a lemon to olive oil ratio. You can add a touch of honey to mellow out the tang if need be. Pour desired amount over kale and toss so the leaves marinate in the dressing, 10 minutes or so.


*To make a light lunch, add chickpeas, and/or leftover chicken.

You can also replace the parmesan cheese for feta, goat or blue cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment