Monday, November 15, 2010

Count Down to Thanksgiving...

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I thought it may be helpful to post recipes for healthy appetizers & side dishes. With that said, I am not one for traditions. I prefer to try new dishes that jazz up boring mashed potatoes or plain stuffing. This can be a problem for my traditional family (hi dad). I have picked recipes to post that are simple twists on classic dishes in an attempt to bring these dishes, well received of course, to my Thanksgiving table.
For the past five years I have been a featured chef at Stonewall Kitchen in Portland. Last night I taught a Fall appetizer class and this is the appetizer that won rave reviews for taste as well as presentation. It would be an amazing appetizer for your Thanksgiving guests- one that would have them returning for seconds and thirds...
Smoked Salmon on Potatoes with Dill Sauce
Dill sauce:
1 cup sour cream
½ cup minced fresh dill
2 tbsp. dijon mustard
2 tbsp. light brown sugar

Salmon and Potatoes:
3 lbs. small unpeeled new potatoes
6 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound thinly sliced smoked salmon

For the sauce: combine the sour cream, dill. Dijon mustard, and brown sugar in a bowl and mix until the brown sugar is dissolved. Chill, covered in the refrigerator.

For the salmon and potatoes: cut a small piece off the bottom of the potato so that it will sit level on the platter and scoop a depression in the center of each potato with a melon baller, reserving the shells. Combine the shells with the olive oil and lemon zest in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper turning to coat well. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until golden brown and tender.

Cut the salmon into 1-inch squares. Spoon the sauce onto each potato and top with a square of salmon. Arrange on a serving platter. Garnish with dill sprigs.
*I doubled the sauce recipe since I made large scoops in the potatoes. I would recommend you do the same just to be on the safe side.
**photography scans via Sprouted Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. This sounds absolutely wonderful. I may have to make it this week. :)

    ReplyDelete