Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Powerhouse Kale Salad



How wonderful to have friends with gardens!
Although I love vegetables more than words can say, I am unable to maintain a garden.
It is even a running joke in my family that I kill houseplants in record time.
Seriously, my sister and mother will take bets when I bring home a plant as to how long it will make it under my care. They even hum taps and wish it good luck...

Nonetheless, I appreciate those exceptional women who are able to do it all.
This is one of my favorite recipes and I was inspired by the gift of kale from my moms (abundant) garden and basil & tomatoes from a friend (thank you Kristin!)
Voila! I may not be able to produce the food but with great friends, I am completely secure with experimenting with recipes and yes, my black thumb.


Powerhouse Kale Salad
serves 6-8

1 head of kale, washed, stemmed and cut into ribbon strips
3 green onions, cleaned and chopped
1 red pepper, diced
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup diced walnuts
small handful of raisins or cranberries
optional: fresh herbs (I use basil)
1 batch tahini-lemon dressing (recipe below)

Mix the vegetables, kales leaves and 1/2 cup dressing in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Keep in the fridge to "marinate" for 30 minutes. When ready to serve, toss with hemp seeds, walnuts and raisins. Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.

Tahini-Lemon Dressing
1/4 cup tahini
2 garlic cloves
juice from two medium-sized lemons
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2-4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp. or more of water, as needed
In a food processor, add all the ingredients and process until smooth.






No comments:

Post a Comment